First I just want to say that this post was almost set to go Wednesday, and then my computer crashed. It was fixed briefly, but then it crashed again. Thankfully I didn’t lose anything, but I went through two days of no computer hell! You know how it is nowadays – can’t live without it, really can’t live without it. How did I ever live without the internet? I’d love to go back to those days to remember how. I can’t even remember the last time I fully read a newspaper. I think it was HS?
Having said all that, I have an awesome Super Bowl munchie to present to you. I’m a NY Giants fan, so naturally this is a very special Super Bowl Sunday for me aka a Super DUPER Bowl Sunday, one that deserves its own special and unique snack. It’s called pretzel crunch and it contains malted milk powder. How awesome is that? If you’ve never had a chocolate or vanilla malted milkshake, or a box of Whoppers or Malteasers, you may not know the flavor that is ‘malted’. Well, I’ve racked my brain trying to come up with a description, but I can’t. If anyone out there can, please do! However, once you do taste it, I can almost guarantee you’ll love it, since I don’t know many who don’t love it.
This amazing pretzel crunch was created by Christina Tosi of Momofuku Milk Bar fame, but I made a few subtle changes, one of them reducing the milk powder so I could double the malt powder, and the other, doubling the recipe, because you’re going to need a lot of it. In fact, I would triple it, quadruple it! It goes very, very fast.
Trust me when I say that this is not your average pretzel snack. The combination of sweet, salty and malty is a massive, out-of-hand rave on the palate. On football Sundays, I have to make at least 5 pans of it!
“Hey, got anymore of the pretzel crunch?” is the most popular question – asked at least 5 times during any particular game watching get together, be it baseball, football, basketball, rugby, curling.. Yes, curling might even be fun to watch when you have this malted pretzel crunch to munch on!
Now I’m going to shut up (shocking) and let you finish this post by photo. A picture is worth a thousand words in this case, a thousand words that I don’t have today. Enjoy your journey to one of the best pretzel crunch snacks you might ever have. Seriously.
Add sugars, milk powders, and salt to crushed pretzels, then combine.
Pour melted butter over everything, and toss until all pieces are coated.
Spread on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and bake.
Pretzel crunch aka Snack Manna (or the less PC, Snack Crack) awaits you.
Let’s Go Giants!!
- 4 cups salted mini pretzels - about ½ of a 16-ounce bag
- ½ cup tightly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk powder
- ⅓ cup malted milk powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons butter (1 stick, plus 6 tablespoons), melted
- Preheat oven to 275 F.
- Pour the pretzels in a large bowl and crush them with your hands (I threw them in a ziplock bag and hammered them with a mallet - easier, in my opinion) to one-quarter of their original size. Add the milk powder, malt powder, sugar, and salt, toss to mix. Add the butter and toss to coat. As you toss, the butter will act as glue, binding the dry ingredients to the pretzels and creating small clusters. (I did not get small clusters, but once baked, it formed a sheet of pretzel crunch that I broke into pieces).
- Spread the clusters on a parchment- or silpat-lined sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes, until it looks toasted, smells buttery, and crunches gently when you bite into it.
- Cool the pretzel crunch completely before storing or using in a recipe. Stored in an airtight container at room temperature, the crunch will keep fresh for 1 week; in the fridge or freezer, it will keep for 1 month. (I think these would be fantastic in cookies with chocolate chunks OR drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the sheet of pretzel crunch, let set, then break into pieces - like you would toffee.